Copyright © Some People Say
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Making Dorayaki

I have been wanting to make this ever since I saw the recipe at somewhere else that day. I couldn't remember where I got it-- I jotted the recipe on a piece of rough paper and kept it at a corner. As I was not feeling too well last week, I dare not to cook anything too oily. I am feeling better now and here you go - Dorayaki! 

It's best known as 銅鑼焼き or Doraemon's cake/cookie/biscuit. 

. . . . . 

D-O-R-A-YA-KI!

Dorayaki Recipe 
Servings: Can make about 10 Dorayaki using this recipe.

Preparation Time: 20 - 40 minutes. Suitable for breakfast / tea break snack. 


Ingredients: 
100 gm of wheat flour (tepung gandum) 
1/2 tea spoon of baking soda 
60 gm fine white sugar (grind the sugar into powder if you only have granulated sugar at home) 
2 tablespoons of honey (I used pure honey) 
1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil (I used Canola cooking oil) 
1/2 tea spoon of vanilla extract essence 
1 tablespoon of milk (I used Nestle full cream milk) *optional* 

Tools: 
Non-stick frying pan 
Electric mixer / whisk 
Spoons 
Big bowl
Chinese soup-drinking spoon 

Steps: 
  1. Use the electric mixer to beat eggs and sugar until the mixture turns light and fluffy (in BM: kembang). I used high speed and beat the mixture for about 10 minutes.  
  2. Put the electric mixer a side. You won't need it anymore. Then, put in honey, oil and vanilla extract into the egg-sugar mixture. Stir well using a spoon. 
  3. Put in baking soda and flour into the mixture. Use scoop and push method (in BM: kaup balik). 
  4. If your batter is too thick, you can put in some milk. In my case, I put about 1 tablespoon of milk. 
  5. Get your non-stick frying pan on the stove with low fire. *very important: do not use high fire* 
  6. Use the Chinese soup-drinking spoon as a rough measurement to scoop the batter and put it into the frying pan to cook. 
  7. Flip the round Dorayaki only when you notice there's some bubble-liked texture on the Dorayaki surface which is facing you. This is an indicator that it's time to flip over. See images below for better understanding. 
  8. Serve with Nutella chocolate paste or other paste while it's hot. Dorayaki is done. =) 

Reminders: 
  • Do not try to skip the first step - beat the egg and sugar using electric mixer until the mixture turns fluffy. It will affect the overall taste of the Dorayaki.
  • Do not put oil in the pan while you are cooking the Dorayaki. They already contain oil. You will have really oily Dorayaki if you put more oil to cook them. 
  • Do not ever use high fire. Use really low fire and cook them slowly. Be patient. 
  • Flip over the Dorayaki only when you see bubble-liked texture on its surface. 
  • Don't make your batter too thick/watery. Get a moderate consistency. 
  • Do not use granulated course sugar to beat with the eggs. I am afraid you will be able to bite the sugar in the Dorayaki. It is not going to taste good. Grind your sugar if you don't have fine sugar. 

Images Taken During The Process of Making Dorayaki: 
I forget to put in the vanilla extract. 
Basically, those are the needed stuff to make Dorayaki.
You can easily find these materials at home. 


It's a mistake. 
I should have pour the eggs and powdered sugar into the rice cooker pot. 
I posted this image to show the first step: sugar + egg 


Beat the egg and sugar with an electric mixer. 




After beating the mixture for about 10 minutes, this is what you'll see - 
Light and fluffy mixture. 


Put in honey, oil and vanilla. 
Then, use a spoon to mix the mixture well. 



Put in baking soda and flour. 
Mix well using a spoon. 


This is how your batter should look like after mixing everything together. 
The consistency of the batter should not be too thick, or else your Dorayaki will taste very hard. 
But, you can't make it too watery too. 
Just get a moderate-consistency will do.  
I did add little bit of milk into my batter.


Frying pan with low fire. 
Remember, do not use high fire. 
You don't have to prior heat up the pan before cooking. 
Make sure, your fire is really low or else you will burn your Dorayaki. 
And 1 more thing: you DO NOT have to put any oil on the pan before cooking them. 


These are the first 3 round Dorayaki that I placed in the pan. 
I dare not put many at first because I want to make sure all things are right. 
To make round shape, all you need to do is just pour the batter at the center-- 
It'll spread into a circle shape if the consistency is right. 
You can adjust it slightly using your spatula if you find the shape isn't looking too good.


So you see, my non-stick pan has some problem lately. 
I have some problem flipping them over. 
Thus, you can see some dented area at the corner of each Dorayaki. 
However, I slowly pick up the technique when I continue making more. 
Tips: Usually, the first batch of every stuff will not look too good. =) 


This is the hint I talked about earlier. 
Notice there's bubble liked texture on the surface? 
This is an indicator to tell that the other surface of the Dorayaki is cooked and it's time to flip over. 


See...? 
This is its back. 
It's cooked in beautiful beige-brown colour. 
To me, beautifully cooked means beige/light brown and not dark brown--- 
Dark brown colour looks like chao-da (over-burnt) to me. 


These are the 3 Dorayaki with the best look. 
Some were eaten by Dad when I'm cooking them. 


Eat with Nutella chocolate paste. 
It tastes great! 



I just wanted to show how the Dorayaki looks like when you put 2 together with paste at the center.


And there you go- 
Three paired-up Dorayaki! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment