Copyright © Some People Say
Design by Dzignine
Monday, October 28, 2013

Hokkaido Cupcakes

For the past few days, I was sick. First, I got fever for 2 days probably due to measles infection. The red rashes only came after I recovered from fever. It was awful. I initially thought that it could be some other reasons that caused all these - until I went to see the doctor and got myself a week off from school MC. Tee-hee. 

I am feeling good after the fever. However, the doctor insisted me to leave the campus because he said measles is contagious. Haha - So, on that day itself, I packed my stuff and went back to Malacca. The red rashes came really quickly after that - Covering most of my body.. It'd be too gross to touch food at that moment. I refrained myself from going to the kitchen. A-ha.. Finally, one day before I'm returning back to campus, I finally got myself discharged from measles. I searched for some recipes on cupcakes and decided to bake some for tea break. I didn't want to bake at first - It was all because of daddy - I asked him to get me curry puffs for tea break - He refused. Duh - That is why  I went to the kitchen and make some food for myself! =) 



HOKKAIDO CUPCAKES
Supposed to be - in the end I cup down some steps and consider this my own version of cupcakes - Definitely worth baking!
Original recipe retrieved from: Ellena Guan

Bakes approximately 12 cupcakes. 
Difficulty level: Low 
Preparation time: 15 minutes 
Baking time: 15 minutes 

INGREDIENTS 
Cake batter
3 egg yolks
15 g castor sugar 
30 ml canola oil 
60 ml fresh milk
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
60 g enriched whole wheat flour 
10 g low gluten flour 
10 g corn flour 
* all these 3 types of flour can be replaced with 60 g cake flour (of which I don't have at the moment)
10 g cocoa powder
3 egg whites 
20 g castor sugar 

Garnish
Nutella hazelnut 
Apple slices
Icing sugar  

STEPS
  1. With an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until the mixture turns light yellow in colour. 
  2. Mix in oil, vanilla extract and fresh milk (half) into the batter mixture. Continue to beat the mixture.
  3. Mix in the flour mixture, cocoa powder and remaining milk. Continue to beat the mixture.
  4. Put aside the mixture. Beat egg whites and sugar until fluffy and foamy. 
  5. Scoop in 1/3 of the whites into the batter mixture and use a spatula to fold it even. Complete the other 2/3 slowly.
  6. Pour batter mixture into the cupcakes holder. 
  7. Bake under 150 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Check your cupcakes from time to time. Different oven has different temperature and time regulation settings.
  8. When the cupcakes cool down, spread Nutella and have your Apple slice on it. Sprinkle some dusted icing sugar for garnish purpose. This step is optional and can be done using whipped cream. 
In the original recipe, it has corn whipped cream in the cupcakes - I skipped this because I do not have corn starch at home. However, this cupcake itself tastes good enough. It is rich in chocolate and definitely a treat for all chocolate lovers. 

Trust me, it is easy to bake these. I am a bad baker and yet I am able to make this a success. I believe you can do it too! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment