Copyright © Some People Say
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, November 28, 2019

A - Line Dress for Toddler or Kids

This is the first time I sew a decent dress which I think my daughter can wear out. This tutorial is good and really recommended for beginners like me. Note that my sewing skill is amateur level (though I have sewn the entire house's curtains). Still, without a proper guru, I think my dress looks okay but of course, there's still room for improvement.


I really appreciate your tutorial very much, Anjalee Sharma. You are one of the best Youtube gurus I learned from.

This tutorial teaches

  • how to sketch a toddler's bodice front and back
  • how to sew the whole dress, including a simple inner 
I improvised the pattern:
  • using my Dad's old singlet as a thin breathable inner lining for the dress
  • instead of using bias tape for armholes, I used a big piece to cover the neckline as well as armholes using the singlet 
Camille is currently 17 months old to be soon. So, consider this 12-18 mo size dress. 

Materials: 
  • 40 x 50cm x 2 pieces (I bought ready-cut) = RM 3.98 
  • 4 large wooden buttons (or any other accessory you like)
  • almost 30-years old electric sewing machine 
  • white thread 
Size: 12-18 mo 

Camille's measurements / step-by-step: 
  1. Shoulder length: 4.5" 
  2. Neckline width: 2" 
  3. Neckline depth: 2.5" 
  4. Armhole: 4.5" 
  5. 1/2" shoulder slant drop
  6. Chest + 1" : 5.75" 
  7. Dress length : 18" 



This is obviously very short.. 
First time drafting pattern and I made a mistake for making it too short
Then, I added blue pleats to lenghthen the dress 

This is how it looks now 

Then, I felt the urge to make another one 
Yes, I used pencil instead of sewing chalk 
Perhaps I should invest one soon

This is the improvised version I mentioned above
Instead of using bias tape for the armholes, I made the entire piece covering neckline and armholes


 Haha.. 

 Side view 


 Mom, I'm getting tired posing..


 Okay, back view

Let's continue watching Cocomelon 


Before making it longer



0 comments:

Post a Comment